You know how a song or certain sounds can take you right back to a special time or specific place in your mind? What about a smell? Sounds strange huh? but it's true.
After work today I stopped at Pizza Hut to get a delicious, healthy dinner for my family. At least it was delicious. As I opened the door, the smell just about knocked me over! That specific "pizza hut" smell took me back to the year 1992. I was a young 18 yr old girl, shy and very thin. I remember my waitress job like it was yesterday. It was actually hard work, but good exercise! Some customers were really nice and then there were the other group of customers. Some people thought I was just a lowly servant that owed them the world. Don't you hate people like that? It's even worse if you are out in public at dinner with those type of people- being like that to the waiters. If you have been a waiter or waitress, you know to treat them nicely now!
Anyways.... I remember my nice boss and friendly co-workers. I remember being too young to serve alcoholic beverages to my tables. I had to ask the customers to be patient while I found someone over legal age to serve their drinks. How embarassing?!! Especially if it was a group of college kids! I remember leaving work one day and finding a sweet love note and flower on my car windshield from my boyfriend (aka: now hubby)! I just graduated high school and would soon be married!
As weird as it is.....that smell brought back some great memories!
Have you read that book called Waiter Rant by Anthony Bourdain? Check it out sometime.
No comments:
Post a Comment