It's been a real fun day but I'm dreading to take Lacey to school this week. If you are a parent, you probably remember when your child made their first "real" friend. You know, the friend they chose, they picked out on their own, became close buddies, with no parent interference. Lacey has a friend named Emily. Their teacher has told us several times that they are glued to each other and are best buddies all day at school. Lacey talks about this sweet little girl all week and any time she hears the name of Emily, she thinks of her special friend. She tells me what they do together and how she hopes she can come to her birthday party one day. It's the sweetest thing to hear her talk about this little girl. But I recently found out that her friend won't be coming back to school again but will be staying at home with her daddy instead. Lacey is unaware of this. Last week she mentioned that Emily wasn't at school because she thinks her mommy is sick or something. I just couldn't tell her that she may never see her again. No last name, no parent contact to play together, nothing. Her sweet friend is just gone and Lacey will be heart broken. I'm going to tell her this week because it's really not fair that she expects her to be there, ready to play all day with her.
Her closest friend, her buddy, the one she wants to spend time with, is gone. Things have changed.....no good-bye.......no explanation, just a little broken heart that misses her friend. I guess I can teach her about memories and how to remember all the fun they had together, playing and giggling. Sadly, I can say that I understand. It's not fair but as the lame saying goes..."life goes on."
And......I can only hope that she will see her friend sitting at the table with her next fall as they begin pre-school together!!
No comments:
Post a Comment