Wednesday, October 14, 2009

four

Four years ago today our adoption was finalized! I remember how Lacey woke super early around 6am that special morning. My eight month old daughter was wide awake and all smiles. I placed her on the couch and sang "You are my Sunshine" as we anxiously prepared for court. I dressed her in a beautiful warm ivory pleated skirt and tights with a little matching sweater. Our close friends Mike and Jessi arrived at the house, carrying surprise gifts for us. A Precious Moments figurine still sits in Lacey's bedroom and a handmade wall photo frame hangs in my bedroom by the desk. We followed my parents' car and headed downtown. A little parade on the way to celebrate! We held the little wiggle worm in court and attempted to keep her quiet. I remember how she pounded on the table with her little fists and yawned a few times, completely unaware of the court proceedings. I think she had hiccups too, which made us laugh!

As the lawyers and judge discussed things and questioned us, we paused once in awhile to laugh at the sweet, happy baby. It was a very special day but at the same time it was just a legality, a formal requirement, just another step in the process. We had undescribable peace for about 5 months since we met the birthmother so the court hearing was nothing to be nervous about, as alot of people expected. We glanced through the scrapbook last night that holds the wonderful photos from that day. One of my favorites is a picture of us coming out of the courthouse and down the front steps, all smiles! We all had breakfast together at a little restaurant that morning. A breakfast celebration! Special friends and special family with us for the event. I remember telling my Dad and Mom thanks for coming with us and they said "we wouldn't miss it!" My heart was overflowing with joy!

After breakfast we headed to the mall to pick up a few things for our weekend trip. We retreated to a mountain cabin for a few days, just the three of us! And 2 puppies of course! My memory fails me alot for some reason, but I can remember this special day in great detail.

My husband of 17 years, My daughter.......My Life!

No comments: