Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good 'Ole Days

So, over a year ago I talked about being a slacker....wow! Time really flies. A friend has recently revived her blog once again and she inspired me also. As I mentioned last time, facebook has become the new time stealer. It's just a quick and simple way to write a random thought that doesn't require much thinking at the end of the day. FB is a good way to just relax for maybe a half hour before bed and to catch up with everyone. I can talk with old friends, get to know new friends, find family members....all kinds of cool stuff. You just gotta weed it out amongst all the garbage or just hide alot of stuff. I actually prefer my blog (and others) much more than a social network site. It's usually more personal and commonly not shared with just anyone. It's a good place to share things and just enjoy a little writing time. Darn facebook is just so quick and easy when time is the enemy.

I love to write. I like to try to make someone laugh or just share something on my mind. A good way to just clear your head or express your feelings at the moment. Written communication is even better sometimes than oral communication. Think about all those old love letters that we keep forever!

Today I have been thinking alot about the way things used to be, thanks to a co-worker. He mentioned in conversation the other day about having dinner with their family. I thought it was pretty sweet as he continued to explain. Every single weeknight, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, he has dinner with his wife and 2 children at her Grandma's house. Dinner guests include her parents, aunts and uncles and cousins! I sorta laughed as I was shocked at their normal routine. Everyone pitches in to help buy groceries and dinner is waiting when they get there after work. Their children are involved in sports, choir and dance so it's pretty convenient for them. He even brings leftovers sometimes to work the next day for his lunch! I thought it was funny and sorta strange but I was also a little jealous.

This reminded me how my Grandma used to call us early Sunday mornings to invite us up for dinner after church. No special reason...it was just a Sunday afternoon and we had some free time to visit. I just told my husband awhile back that I miss those phone calls. He agreed. I remember everyone gathering here at Grandma's house. I still can't figure out how she packed in so many people in this little house. But she didn't care, she loved everyone and loved the company! I think she would be kinda sad if she seen us now.....scattered everywhere and hardly speaking. It's almost 11pm and I just completely forgot where I was going with this story. Hubby is snoring as well as one puppy...maybe that's a good excuse!

Sadly, it just seems everyone is always in a rush. And we are as well. Lacey notices things all the time and comments about it. I believe that a small child puts things in perspective better than any adult. But hopefully, our priorities are in the right order and we work hard to maintain it. I hope you can say the same.

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! We have never played the game of pretending to be the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause. I don't think it's wrong but we've just never done it. Lacey knows that Easter is when Jesus arose from the grave and Christmas is when He was born. Pretty simple actually. We colored eggs today and as soon as she fell asleep I set out her pretty little purple basket filled with goodies. She will be SO excited in the morning :) The forecast looks pretty rainy so the egg hunt may be indoors but will be fun anyways. I love to celebrate the holidays and just enjoy her while she is little.

No comments: